At 03:31 PM 5/25/2011, you wrote:
Hi,
[snip]
>At 01:24 PM 5/25/2011, you wrote:
>HARD CURRENCY ENERGY- how the thermal energy of the active core can be converted in electric energy in an economical way?

>I'm probably too conservative there.  40% ?   60% ?
>(Way out of my expertise, anyway.)

The Carnot efficiency at 500 C is 52% (assuming the steam is condensed at 100 C,
61% if at room temperature). 50% of 6 = 3, which implies that 1/3 of the
electrical power is used to run the device, and 2/3 is available for external
use. However no device ever actually achieves Carnot efficiency, so this may be
a bit less. OTOH, if this is real then the factor of 6 is likely to grow with
time as better methods of control are developed.
Robin van Spaandonk

I googled an interesting one :

http://www.langsonenergy.com/
http://www.langsonenergy.com/faqs-2
White paper : http://www.langsonenergy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LEI-White-Paper-2011-01.pdf

He claims 60% efficiency from a variety of sources:

> Power production efficiencies approximate those produced by steam turbines (Isentropic efficiencies exceeding 60%) without the strict requirements of high-pressure, dry steam required by these devices. Capable of directly utilizing the pressure in natural gas, wet steam, dry steam, geothermal fluids, water and many other waste streams, the Gas Letdown Generator provides significant economic and performance advantages over traditional and non-traditional waste energy capture devices.

It looks like a pair of intertwined archimedes screws. He's primarily marketing it as a device which reaps otherwise wasted energy from "Gas Letdown" -- the device which reduces a high pressure gas pipeline to lower-pressure local distribution lines.

60% * 6x Cat =  3.6 total for electric