From: John Berry [mailto:aethe...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:50 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]: Why are the electric and magnetic fields perpendicular?

Ok, you need to consider my answer if you want to understand this.

You are assuming that a thing called a magnetic field really exists and this is
the reason for your
problem.

Consider first how to interact with or detect magnetic fields, first take the
Neutron, what reaction
does it have to a magnetic field?

As far as I am aware, essentially none.

Ok so what else is matter made up of, ok Protons and electrons, so how do these
particles with
electrical potential react to a magnetic field?

By default they don't!

Ok, so if you are moving the charges relatively to the magnetic field then what
happens?  Well if
cutting across the so called magnetic field they feel a force perpendicular to
the magnetic field
and in a direction based on their electrical sign.
So in an EM wave we have electrons and protons feel a force at right angles to
the so called
magnetic component, in other words they feel the electric component.

So what can be detected on the magnetic axis? NOTHING.

Of course a magnet will align it's self to the magnetic axis, but why is this?

Well if you consider an air core electromagnet turned off it shows no reaction
to the magnetic
field, now if you put DC through it, it will respond by aligning with the
external magnetic field,
however if we look at each element of this coil we find that the force is
placed on moving electrons
because they are cutting through the magnetic field, the force on the electrons
is perpendicular to
the magnetic field.

Ok, so an electromagnet feeling any "magnetic" force is really just an illusion.

And the same is true of ferrous materials where the magnetic field is again
created by moving
charges.

Ok, so how come magnetic fields exist only to establish an electric component
at 90 degrees?

Well consider what makes magnetic fields is: moving charges, and what feels
magnetic fields is:
moving charges.
And what they feel is perpendicular and dependent on the sign of the moving
charge.

So if we look at moving charges, can we understand how these forces can arise?

Actually YES!

If you look at every source of a magnetic field you can calculate the expected
force by looking
solely at how motion is distorting the electric field.

Ok, so in a piece of wire the protons and electrons are in about the same
number and their electric
fields sum to zero outside the wire (the electric field from every particle in
your body stretches
out to infinity), then if you apply a time varying electric field to the wire
the mobile electrons
wiggle back and fourth.
This movement effects their field in much the same way that wiggling a hose
makes the stream bend.

The protons aren't wiggling so you can now look at what would happen from
having electric fields
from the electrons in a wire bent as it carries out into space:
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\|/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
This clearly shows how the electric component comes about.

Ok, so how about a DC electromagnet with an air core?

Well what happens when matter moves? Well since Einstein and before the answer
is that contraction
of length takes place.
So if we have a wire and move the electrons but not the protons, what should
happen to the electrons
field?
It should be squashed, so consider the spherical field around an electron,
imagine now lots of
electrons in a row like peals on a necklace, look at the vectors of force from
that electric field.

Look at how any field lines not perpendicular to this train of electrons is
cancelled by the other
electrons fields, now if you were to pancake these electric fields a bit less
field at the sides
would be wasted and cancelled between them, and more in the perpendicular
direction.

I hope you are able to visualize this, this would create an unmasked electric
field of sorts, this
electric field also should exist and has been experimentally measured to exist
as the Hooper
Motional E field and it should exist even if you look on magnetic fields as
real.

Now I can hear you asking how this creates any illusion of a magnetic field,
well let's now look at
another parallel section of wire carrying a current, now there are different
ways to view this as it
is very much multi choice, however the moving electrons in this other wire for
arguments sake are
moving in the same direction and they may not see those electrons as pancaked,
instead they see the
protons in the other wire as pancaking and attracting them toward the other
wire.
Meanwhile the protons in this wire are seeing the electrons in the other wire
as pancaking and
attracting them.

This gives rise to the expected forces, only we have looked at the charges and
the electric field
only.

So please consider when talking about magnetism, only moving electric
fields/charges create it, and
only moving charges can feel it as an electric field at 90 degrees and in a
direction dependent of
their sign.

This is as far as I am aware considered conventional and accepted.

John, an INTJ (I feel this post should be proof read, but I can't be bothered :)