On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>>> Nor does the manufacturer's brochure assert that steam quality can be
>>> measured with their equipment . . .
>>

>> It said the equipment measures enthalpy. You can't do that unless you know
>> the quality of the steam. It also said that the instrument measures by mass,
>> not volume.
>>
>> You really should give up on this claim. The manufacturer makes no claim
>> about steam quality. It calculates enthalpy of humid air from the
>> temperature and RH. As Driscoll has argued, a capacitance measurement could
>> not give steam quality.

You're quit right. Either the probe uses a polymer between two capacitor
plates that absorbs water and the permeability between the capacitor plates
changes accordingly or it measures the permeability directly. If it is a
polymer, wet or dry steam makes no difference. The polymer will read 100%
humidity in wet or dry steam.

If it is measuring vapor directly the increase in capacitance is too high
for 100% humidity. So, what's an instrumentation firmware programmer to do
in this case? He can either display an overflow condition or call it 100%
humidity. Having played the role of an instrumentation firmware programmer
yahoo too many times, I would go with the latter choice. Why?

The user could very well be using the thing in foggy weather. I still want
my instrument to work in fog so I call it 100%.  This would be OK. 100% is
the humidity in fog.