At 01:38 PM 7/4/2011, OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson wrote:
[with some personal history, which I very much appreciate, there are valuable lessons for all of us in this, so I sincerely thank Steven for sharing this, there is some historical pain there.)

As to Driscoll -- and myself-- some of us like to write about what we know, even if what we know is, sometimes, in the overall scheme of things, not so important. When we write what we know, and it is attacked, we may persist, standing up for what we know.

You were right, Steven, to stand up for your error, until it became visible to you. I'd fault the person you worked with for not respecting and caring about you sufficiently to show you your error, and my guess is that this person didn't actually know what your error was, but was simply assuming that there must be an error, since what you were claiming was, he believed, impossible.

While that's a somewhat reasonable position, and he wasn't obligated to do your homework for you, he could have been far less of an asshole about it.

And you might have, indeed, have opened up your work, gotten some independent criticism, etc.

As soon as anyone is stuck on Being Right, they are dead meat as far as science and transformation is concerned.

It's been a major realization for me, the diffence between Being Right and standing for what I see or think or choose. With the former, I'm convinced that You are Wrong, or even Everyone Else is Wrong. Sucks, eh? But if I take a stand, I stand to learn something, I don't have to be right to take a stand, I merely need to be honest, this is what I think, and I'm not moved by a bunch of assholes -- or even nice, smiling people -- telling me that I'm Wrong.

Please, show me the error. If you can't, you don't inspire confidence in your knowledge that I'm Wrong.

Sure, it can take time. Real investigation takes patience, and maybe you don't have time right now. Okay, later. Let's make a date!

No time for idiots like me? Thanks for sharing, and you are welcome to jump in the lake! I'll ask someone else, someone with more caring and patience.