On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess there is no evidence if you cover your eyes and your ears and yell
> "nya, nya, I can't hear you!!" like a 5-year-old.
>
> There is plenty of evidence if you look up Ni-H experiments at
> LENR-CANR.org. There is a *mountain* of evidence if you look up Pd and Ti
> as well. I am assuming nature is unified and the phenomenon is
> fundamentally the same in all metal hydrides. "The conservation of
> miracles" as Mike calls it. What a great name!
>
> I do not know why the heck anyone feels that a watt level reaction in the
> laboratory is not supporting evidence for a reaction with the same
> characteristics at the kilowatt level with 1000 times more material. Of all
> the various skeptical arguments I've heard this one is among the most
> untenable. Have you never read anything about the history of science and
> technology?!? Have you never heard of "scaling up." The whole point of cold
> fusion research from day one has been to scale up to a commercially useful
> level of heat.

Right. Scaling up cold fusion has always been the point, but in 22 years,
no one has succeeded in doing that. So, all those laboratory results do not
constitute evidence that Rossi has done it either, any more than it is
evidence that you or I have done it. Or any more than a high-school
demonstration of high temperature superconductivity is evidence that I have
built a mag-lev train between manhattan and LA using superconducting
ceramics; I have, you know -- last night.

For those who accept the earlier cold fusion results as credible, they only
make Rossi's claims more plausible; they do not constitute evidence that
he's done it.

So, that leaves only the demonstrations themselves, which come from Rossi,
just as Lawrence said.

You have said on occasion they provide irrefutable proof of his claims that
only a crackpot could disbelieve. Other times you agree with the more
cautious who say he is deliberately *not* proving his claims to thwart
unwanted competition. The only way both could be true is if all his
potential competitors are crackpots.