On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But what is wrong with that?!? Nearly every effect discovered since 1700
> has started off on a small scale, and was later scaled up:

High temperature superconductivity has not yet been scaled up successfully
for commercial purposes.

And whether or not it will, the fact that other technologies have been
scaled up is not in any way evidence that Rossi has scaled cold fusion up.
I don't think you understand what evidence is. The old experiments, if you
believe them, are at best evidence that it's possible. But it's possible to
walk on the moon. That's not evidence that Rossi has done it.

> Why do you insist it has not happened with cold fusion, or that it cannot
> happen? I do not understand what you insist, but you are ignoring history
> and common sense.

That's not the argument. The argument is that Rossi has not given evidence
that he has done it. And even for believers in cold fusion, the likelihood
of successful scaling up for a particular person is low, given the
thousands of people working on it for 2 decades, without success. Just
because he claims he's done it, is not evidence that he has. And 20 years
of failure (of scaling up) isn't either. Quite the opposite. He needs
direct evidence himself.