The paper says that it is working at a temperature of 135 C, which is relatively elevated.

I agree that this does violate the second law, in that it is doing work but there is not a heat source and sink. However, as my son, who knows more about physics than I do says, the second law is not so much a law, merely a guideline. There are a number of situations where it does not hold, so we can add this to the list.

One Achilles heal of the second law would appear to be pumped Bose condensates such as lasers, so it is no great surprise to find an example here.

However, we only get over unity at less than <10E-10 watts, so its practical application at this point is somewhat limited. But maybe with a little more research....

Nigel