On 7/30/2012 3:27 PM, Chemical Engineer wrote:
It seems to me that if LENR is real and scalable and we have approx 50 years to turn things around, some new industries that should arise, based upon sound scientific data are:

1) Cooling of oceans to stable, pre-industrial temperatures using evaporative cooling, etc requiring lots of LENR pumping HP, which is now virtually free
2) ....
3)  ...

And big ass LENR pumps for all the cities to keep the water out until 1-3 are effective.

I at first missed the word "cities"
So had a brief vision of thousands of (will be) former beach dwellers now looking at the ocean with closed circuit TV, from the bottoms of their 100 foot tall cast cement silos, while huge pumps howl to keep their patches of sand dry.

Keeping Manhattan dry -not to mention Brooklyn and Staten Island!- will surely be easier, but just as surely totally uneconomical. But I think you are showing a certain dry humor...

About your point 1): Cooling that much water a few degrees would require dumping that heat, and the waste heat from the cooling process (think thermodynamics laws), somewhere. If not back in the water, then into the atmosphere. Wild guess: 30 degree air temp rise, world-wide?

But I can see a barrage of pumps near important coral reefs, pulling cold water up from the depths for a local effect. Wait, the water's rising, they'd have to put the reefs on jacks. Never mind, we are so screwed.

Ol' Bab, who was an engineer.