Chemical Engineer <cheme...@gmail.com> wrote:

I agree.  There are MANY solutions to our current problems if energy
> becomes inexpensive.

We should pick the solution that is cheapest, or that produces the most
profit. I think growing wood will remain profitable long into the future.

I expect to see wheat and other food grown in indoor farms, and meat grown
in vitro, but it is a little difficult to imagine lumber grown in indoor
farms. Wood for wood pulp might be, but I doubt there will be much of a
market for paper products, except packaging.

I do not think there will any market for naturally extracted oil. Oil from
wells, that is. Synthetic oil for plastic feedstock made on site will be
cheaper, safer, and more convenient.

>  I was thinking bury the CO2 as CaCO3 as mother nature does but oils would
> probably work also.

I do not think that nature buries CO2. I think it would escape over the
long term (thousands of years). Also, you want to recover the O. There may
be a shortage of that in the atmosphere. Nature has buried C (coal) and
various C+H compounds (oil). With the right geology, oil stays underground
indefinitely. I suppose the best place to bury it would be where we found
it, in Texas and Saudi Arabia.

Perhaps it would be very expensive and difficult to force the oil back into
solution with the rocks underground in Texas. I wouldn't know. I am just
speculating.