At 11:11 AM 1/3/2013, David Roberson wrote:
I appreciate your decision Jojo. I look forward to a return to the good science related discussions that we once shared.

May I make a couple of requests to the Vortex members that are totally reasonable:

Lets all terminate any off topic posting that gets to be too long as it may not be of much general interest to the group. I have been corrected to now understand that this group is not concentrated upon LENR as such, but to unusual scientific discoveries, topics, etc. I hope that politics in general becomes far less dominate. The same can be said with respect to religious postings that generate controversy.

If Jojo respects your advice, David, the immediate problem will vanish within a day or two.

However, the immediate affair has pointed up a serious problem, long-term, the lack of attentive moderation. Bill, if he shows up, could fix this easily, but it's been weeks, I think, that people have been trying to contact him.

The problem with your suggestion, David, is that some off-topic posts involve highly offensive material that, if unanswered, damages the list archive. Jojo interprets my comments on this as being about "truth." No, truth is actually irrelevant. It is about the list *archive* being abused to one-sidedly present what is commonly viewed as highly offensive. That archive sticks around and can be found, for many years.

When a community tolerates hate speech, it is *responsible* for it, collectively.

So, turn this around. Jojo believes he's been insulted, or his religion has been insulted. What can or should he do? Nothing? That has not been adequate for Jojo. It's actually important that he be able to respond, and the problem has been a lack of moderation in his response.

One post in response, no problem, unless it, then, brings up entirely new cans of worms.

There are some obvious solutions, as will become clear. They don't involve banning. But they do involve moderation. Moderation by whom? David, it might end up being up to you to moderate Jojo's posts, should it come to that. Who else?

Or Jojo will begin to moderate himself.