Gamma rays are only produced by nuclear reactions. The wavelength of these
rays is just 10 picometers, the size only compatible with the insides of
the nucleus of an atom.

Also remember that Rossi said he has seen gamma rays coming
electron/positron annihilation.

From

http://www.livescience.com/28594-dark-lightning-zaps-airline-passengers.html

"Dark lightning" that is almost invisible within clouds may regularly blast
airline passengers with large numbers of gamma rays, scientists find.

However, these outbursts do not seem to reach truly dangerous levels,
researchers added.

More than a decade ago, researchers unexpectedly discovered thunderstorms
could generate brief but powerful  bursts of gamma rays, the highest-energy
form of light. These so-called terrestrial gamma-ray flashes are so bright
that they are able to blind sensors on satellites many hundreds of miles
away.

*• The amount of gamma emissions from dark lightning are very large.*

Worryingly, terrestrial gamma-ray flashes can occur near the same altitudes
at which commercial aircraft regularly fly. Attempts to discover whether
these flashes pose a radiation hazard to airline passengers have been
hampered by a poor understanding of the cause of these flashes. Past
research has also found these flashes hurl beams of antimatter into space.
[The 5 Real Hazards of Air Travel]

"We know in detail how black holes work at the centers of distant galaxies,
but we don't really understand what is going on inside thunderclouds just a
few miles over our heads," said researcher Joseph Dwyer, a physicist at the
Florida Institute of Technology.

Extreme lightning

Now computer models suggest the flashes are caused by an extreme form of
lightning. Although they may blast out large numbers of gamma rays, they
generate very little visible light, leading scientists to call the
phenomenon "dark lightning."

"I find it amazing that it took us two-and-a half centuries after Ben
Franklin to find out that there is another kind of lightning inside
thunderstorms," Dwyer told LiveScience.

Normal lightning involves slow electrons that carry electric current to the
ground or within clouds. In contrast, dark lightning involves high-energy
electrons. These electrons slam into air molecules, producing gamma rays.
In turn, these gamma rays generate electrons and their antimatter
counterparts, known as positrons. These high-energy particles collide into
still more air molecules, generating more gamma rays, ultimately explaining
many of the properties of the gamma-ray flashes that scientists have
detected from thunderstorms.

Ordinary lightning arcs from one spot to another to reduce the voltage
growing within clouds. Dark lightning does so as well, and since much
higher energy particles are involved, it reduces voltage far more quickly,
so the electric fields within them "can collapse in a few tens of
microseconds," Dwyer said.

Dwyer is underestimating the gamma producing power of dark lightning.

>From this site

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/GLAST/news/fermi-thunderstorms.html

NASA's Fermi Catches Thunderstorms Hurling Antimatter into Space

Scientists using NASA's Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope have detected beams
of antimatter produced above thunderstorms on Earth, a phenomenon never
seen before.

Scientists think the antimatter particles were formed in a terrestrial
gamma-ray flash (TGF), a brief burst produced inside thunderstorms and
shown to be associated with lightning. It is estimated that about 500 TGFs
occur daily worldwide, but most go undetected.

"These signals are the first direct evidence that thunderstorms make
antimatter particle beams," said Michael Briggs, a member of Fermi's
Gamma-ray Burst Monitor (GBM) team at the University of Alabama in
Huntsville (UAH). He presented the findings Monday, during a news briefing
at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Seattle.

The videos on this site are interesting to watch. They explain how NASA
thinks how both gamma rays and positrons are formed by lightning.

•* The theory does not explain how only certain lightning strokes produce
positrons. Only about 500 strokes out of tens of thousands produce
positrons.*

*One way to tell where the gamma rays are coming from is to determine what
spectrum comes from these rays. If they derive from nuclear transmutation
reactions, then LENR may be involved.*