I wrote:

So if the test concerns the *existence* of LENR, rather than a parameter
> that affects it, I think another control should be sought out.  Whatever
> that other control is (input power turned off, a different substrate or
> cathode, or some other property), could be varied in the manner you suggest
> to rule out a null hypothesis.

I should clarify -- there are experiments that seek to establish the
existence of LENR (something the mainstream physicists still have yet to
convince themselves of).  There are experiments to look for the mechanism
behind LENR, on the assumption that it exists.  And there are possible
experiments to assess whether a company such as Leonardo Corp. or Defkalion
have a working device that produces more energy that goes into it, possibly
due to LENR.  Perhaps you have the last kind of experiment in mind.  In
that case, a control that seems promising would be to use argon in place of
hydrogen, without making assumptions about whether LENR is caused by light
hydrogen, deuterium, or a combination of both.

(I misspoke when I said that turning off the input power would be a
suitable control.)

Eric