yes, and seeing the story of LENR compared to other extraordinary claims, I
think that the problem of LENr is that it requires much intelligence,
competence, trust in instruments, in computation, in good protocol, that it
is too easy for a lazy mind (like me sometime) to quickly conclude that it
is artifact, and stop looking...

so the protocol should be very very simple, and free of any possibility to
claim a trick, an artifact... something a layman can understand, and which
a doctor cannot critic without looking ridiculous.

about blank, I agree I've exaggerated, it is useful to increase trust, and
by the way it is useful for the testers to understand the performance of
their apparatus...

One idea that could be pleasant is the turbine-generator feed-back, but
seeing the many critics, rational, extreme, or absurds, I'm afraid that any
complex system will call for denial...

 on the opposite a mass calorimetry with ice, or warming a big bath could
do the job.

I've heard of a simple protocol compatible with steam in the reactor, and
only warm water measured... just split and mixing...

anyway hearing some comments, it seems that even the position of
thermocouple with DGT test was criticized. Despite the blank run at COP0.5
(this way the blank was useful to shut down claims of fraud).

in absolute calorimetry, I don't understand how bad thermocouple
positioning can have a 300% impact... same for bubble back in flowmeter...
Sometime it seems it is pure folly. But yes there can be mistakes...