Something else from the Jasons Wikipedia
article<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_(advisory_group)>
:

In 2002, DARPA decided to cut its ties with JASON. DARPA had not only been
one of JASON's primary sponsors, it was also the channel through which
JASON received funding from other sponsors. DARPA's decision came after
JASON's refusal to allow DARPA to select three new JASON members. Since
JASON's inception, new members have always been selected by its existing
members. After much negotiation and letter-writing—including a letter by
Congressman<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives>
 Rush Holt <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_D._Holt,_Jr.> of New Jersey
[3] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_(advisory_group)#cite_note-3>—funding
was subsequently secured from an office higher in the defense hierarchy,
the office of the Director, Defense Research &
Engineering<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_Defense_Research_and_Engineering>,
name changed to Assistant Secretary of Defense (Research & Engineering)
(ASD (R&E)) in 2011.[4]
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JASON_(advisory_group)#cite_note-4>