Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> For example, although  the US is self-sufficient in energy, the cost is
> controlled by the world market.

The U.S. is not self-sufficient in energy. We consume 97 quads. We import
24 quads (mainly oil) and export 10 quads (oil and coal). See:

http://www.eia.gov/totalenergy/data/annual/diagram1.cfm

If the cost goes down, the profit goes down and the loans supporting the
> infrastructure cannot be paid, resulting in massive default.

That would depend on how far down the costs go, how quickly. Energy costs
have dropped throughout history. The cost of electricity in particular has
fallen in real dollars. Granted, cold fusion is likely to cause a
catastrophic drop in prices which would strand much of the industry, but
the default would not be massive. Oil, gas, coal and electric companies do
not have much debt. They are not a major part of the U.S. economy. There
would be stranded infrastructure, but it would be stranded because we don't
need it. It will not serve any purpose, and no one will miss it, any more
than we miss having the use of abandoned railroad lines.

It will take a long time to close down the electric power industry. 20 or
30 years at least, and probably longer. That is plenty of time to pay off
bonds. They will not have to buy any new equipment or generators during
that time, since the market will be contracting. They can just use up and
then throw away their old equipment. That is what U.S. railroads did from
1945 to 1965, as passenger traffic vanished. Even today, most of the
remaining rolling stock is decades old, and it is a tiny fraction of what
we had in 1945.

The global energy market is $6 trillion, but most of that money goes to the
oil producing countries, mainly in the Middle East and Russia. Their
economies will be destroyed. Not ours, and not Europe or Japan.

Look at the Fortune 500:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2013/full_list/index.html?iid=F500_sp_full

It is true that #2, 3, 4 and 9 are in the energy business, with a total of
$992 billion, but the others are nowhere to be seen. Other companies in
other business make far more in the aggregate, and many of these companies
such as GM and Ford may benefit from cold fusion, or profit from it
directly, such as GE (assuming they make cold fusion generators). Every
dollar not earned by Exxon is likely to be spent elsewhere. Every dollar
not sent to Saudi Arabia will be spent here instead.