From: John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Thu, Feb 20, 2014 12:29 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Velocity dependent model of Coulomb's law

 5:42 PM, David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

I am not sure that this will get anywhere but I can answer the question
according to what I would expect.

>So if you were moving with the electrons/neg-balls, would you see a magnetic
>field from the protons/pos-balls in the other wire/pipe?
Since those protons are moving relative to your reference frame?

And if the electrons/balls moving with you did see such a protonic B-field
would they not be attracted from cutting through it like that?<

An observer moving with the negatively charged electrons within one wire would
see a  magnetic field due to the motion of the protons in the far wire.

But, the electrons are not moving according to your new reference frame and
would not be affected by any magnetic fields.

Maybe you are unaware, but a stationary charge can be effected by a magnetic
field that is moving relative to it

If you had a negatively charged ping pong ball on a string, and you lowered it
towards a magnetic rotor that was turning (shielded from wind), the negatively
charged ball would be pushed perpendicular to the magnetic field (radial) and
the direction of motion, so you would find your ping pong ball pushed to the
side.

Only relative motion is required between a magnetic field and the charge.

You can accept the electrons in the wire would see a magnetic field from the
protons in the other wire right? (you said so above)

So is that magnetic field moving relative to our electrons? If it is from the
protons that are moving then yes it must be.

I hope you follow this, if the electrons see a magnetic field from the protons
that is moving relative to the electrons frame, then they should see a voltage,
a force attracting them to the other wire right?

The protons of the wire you ride upon would however be effected by the field
generated by the other wire's proton motion.

Why? The protons in each wire are stationary relative to the protons in the
other wire.

They would not see any magnetic field from the other protons as it is the same
thing again, no relative motion, no magnetic field, no force from magnetism.

  This interaction would lead to attraction between the wires.

The attraction comes from the protons in one wire seeing a magnetic field from
the electrons in the other wire which they have a relative motion with which
both creates the magnetic field and the cutting of the magnetic field.

The electrons that are moving in that wire likewise sees the protons in the
other wire as having a relative velocity, and hence having a magnetic field and
relative motion to that magnetic field.

Can you understand this?

You are proposing that the magnetic field is between stationary protons and
other stationary protons.
And relatively stationary electrons and other relatively stationary electrons.

I am saying it is between electrons in one wire that have a relative velocity
to protons in the other wire, and visa versa.

I can see no reason why in your example if the protons in one wire are
attracted to the protons in the other, what the need is for the electrons to be
moving for them to feel this force?

John