On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 6:10 AM, John Berry <berry.joh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Correction:
>
> If the result of the magnetic force being seen to act on one frame as
> expected from the flux in another leads to a dramatic and non-trivial
> paradox, it is going to be harder to keep up the delusion that such is
> possible.
>

> If an observer in another frame expects a force to exist in the charges
> frame so as to match their expectation of a magnetic field, and if that
> would lead to a dramatic and paradoxical result as it would not be existed
> to occur in the static frame.
>
> A very easy real world experiment is the common practice of waving a a
> coil past a permanent magnet and seeing the voltage induced in the coil
> read on a meter. (yes this experiment is the inverse as it is relative
> motion to observe an electric field from relative motion to a magnetic
> field)
>
> To be consistent, David would have to argue that if there were a coil
> attached to a volt meter being waved by the permanent magnet, and another
> coil attached to the volt meter that is not moving relative to the magnet,
> that the waving coil that sees an electric field from movement relative to
> the magnetic field would also expect the stationary volt meter to see this
> voltage also, and expect it to be deflected.
>
> Now it is easy to move your head with the waving coil, if you see a
> voltage induced in the non moving coil when you wave your head and not when
> you don't, I will be very very impressed and amazed.
>
> But I think we both know that no such effect exists.
> And if it does not exist in the magnetic to electric, it won't exist in
> electric to magnetic.
>
> John

yes, drama can be a useful device to bring attention to a paradox, but the
paradox does not occur in the case of magnet moving past a coil. That
concerns Faraday's law of induction which is distinct from the Biot Savart
Law for charged particles. I have given it some thought, and the only way
to that the Biot Savart Law for charged particles can be understood
non-paradoxically is by way of some kind of aether. In other words a
magnetic force will appear *if* the particles are moving wrt to an aether.

Harry