Jones etal--

SPIN IS THE CONTROLLING PARAMETER.

At page 3 of the Craven/Gimpel paper on their demonstrations at the NI 2013
convention, they state the following:

>>"Notice the metal nano particles are held within 9 nm pores within carbon
>>particles matched to the expected blackbody radiation.  Nano particles alone
>>have lower energy of vacancy of formation than large bulk material because
>>they are more >>surface -like than bulk-like.  However they are only a few
>>hundred atoms.  If the reaction is deuterium going to helium, we expect 24
>>Mev of energy to be released.  The energy holding most chemical bonds is only
>>on the order of a few ev.  That >>means the reaction must "dump" energy to
>>more than tens of millions of bonds or the reaction site would be destroyed.
>>This is where the carbon framework comes in.  It provides a path for the
>>energy out of the reaction that does not destroy the >>reaction site which
>>would have limited the useful lifetime of the material."

Craven and Gimpel go on to point out the following:

>>"Also in side the sphere is powdered samarium cobalt.  This is to help align
>>(actually anti-align) the spins of the deuterium.  A reaction pathway to
>>helium-4-- i.e., tritium, neutrons, etc.-- without the anti-alignment
>>pathway."<<

As I have often suggested, the control of the spin as a key parameter in
getting the best controlled reaction without destruction of the metal lattice
is very important.  These two researchers seem to understand this importance.

In addition I think they have identified basically a two dimensional system as
a key--the surface-like structure of the carbon particles--to encourage the
reaction in the magnetic field.  As Axil has repeated many times, dimensional
control of the reaction-- one versus two versus three--is well founded in other
research that have considered local micro magnetic fields of significant
magnitude.

Bob Cook