From: mixent <mix...@bigpond.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Jul 1, 2014 1:22 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:A complicated vacuum

Hi,

I suspect that the explanation is far simpler. It takes photons something like
10000 years to exit the sun AFAIK. So photons generated at some distance below
the surface are delayed relative to neutrinos generated in the same reaction.
I would expect a similar effect to occur during a supernova explosion.
In short the slowing doesn't happen in space after they have left the supernova,
it happen in the plasma of the supernova itself, before they leave.
If this is the correct explanation, then similar delays should be measured for
supernova explosions of similar size, irrespective of distance from Earth.

>Interesting idea.
>
>Would light just being absorbed in dust then re-emitted cause a delay  (
>highly
dispersive, though, I'd guess).

electromagnetic fields through space.  Certainly the wavelength gets much
larger
as the frequency of the emission approaches zero Hertz.  If you take into
account that the fact that the time of travel appears to be the same for light
of varying wavelengths then something like this might be happening:

>As the wave propagates through space it encounters charged particles.  Each of
these will scatter the wave to a degree due to the interaction of the fields
with the charged particles.  The net wave shape will become more complex as a
result and should exhibit interference patterns.  I suspect that this will tend
to cause the incoming waves to effectively slow down and approach the average
velocity of the matter that it encounters.

>Neutrinos on the other hand are only effected by gravity as far as is known.
Could this difference in behavior cause the light to slow down relative to the
neutrinos?

>Dave
>

>....Measurements here on Earth picked up the arrival of both photons and
neutrinos from the blast but there was a problem—the arrival of the photons was
later than expected, by 4.7 hours...

>---
>This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus
>protection
is active.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk