Hi,

That the estimates for the time taken in the Sun vary between 10000 & 170000
years, then this tells me that such estimates are not on a very sound footing.
If the difference is a factor of 17 for a constant star like the Sun, then I'm
surprised that they only got if wrong by a factor of 2 for the supernova.

>On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 1:51 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>The delay is caused by the photons trying to fight their way through the
>> plasma
>> and gas. Even after the explosion has taken place, some of them still have
>> fight their way through the expanding plasma cloud ...
>

>Note also that in a star like the sun, the estimated time for radiation to
>reach the surface is between 10,000 and 170,000 years [1].  I'm not sure
>exactly how this time is apportioned for different starting points from the
>center.  But nonetheless if these values can be compared to the 4 hour
>delay, then we can get a rough estimate of the speedup:
>
>    10,000 years / 4 hours = 8.76581E7 hours / 4 hours ~ 21,914,531
>
>So if you're right about the delay being due to the light traveling slower
>in the milieu of the supernova than in a vacuum, even then there's been a
>21 million-fold increase in its velocity, which seems reasonable.  I
>imagine they're measuring the start of the four hours by looking for
>radiation from the direction of the source above some minimum intensity?
>
>Eric
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk