There is an assumption that energy is transferred from the core of the sun
to the surface via photons. This is most likely not true.

Magnetic field lines may well move most of the energy from inside the sun
to the surface where it excites the corona to very high temperatures in the
millions of degrees.

The surface of the sun is only 5505 °C. However, the temperature increases
very steeply from 5505 degrees to a few million degrees in the corona, in
the region 500 kilometers above the photosphere. This is the opposite for
what would be expected for heat transfer through black body radiation.

The same EMF heat transfer mechanism could well be true for supernova
explosions. The surface of the exploding star could be blow off
instantaneously through an intense pulse of EMF.