On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

That the estimates for the time taken in the Sun vary between 10000 & 170000
> years, then this tells me that such estimates are not on a very sound
> footing.
> If the difference is a factor of 17 for a constant star like the Sun, then
> I'm
> surprised that they only got if wrong by a factor of 2 for the supernova.

Good point about the lack of precision in the estimates.  I used a footnote
but failed to include the original reference (it was to Wikipedia [1]).
 The Wikipedia article in turn references an article by NASA [2].

Eric

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun
[2] http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/2007/locations/ttt_sunlight.php