Hi,
[snip]
>Of course we have data comparing nearby super nova explosions to those of
>distant ones.  I do not recall anyone finding the delay in relation to the
>nearby ones.  The other issue to consider is that these explosions are
>extremely energetic.  Certainly the amount of time required to tear apart the
>star is measured in seconds instead of hours.

The delay is caused by the photons trying to fight their way through the plasma
and gas. Even after the explosion has taken place, some of them still have to
fight their way through the expanding plasma cloud, especially if the explosion
was asymmetrical, i.e. if there was initially a lot of mass between us and the
point where it initiated, or the star was exceptionally large to begin with.
In short there are several factor which could effect the delay, so I'm not
surprised that they got it a bit wrong.
IMO this is a simpler and hence more likely explanation than new physics.
Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk