this is an old tactic that Beaudette debunked.
the physicist ignore voluntarily that heat above chemistry level is a
nuclear ash.

maybe Jed can make a better historical perspective than me.

as I've read, the chemist were so bad in particle detection, and physicist
so bad in calorimetry, that since the physicist were assumed better, the
chemist were assumed incompetent...

nobody imagined that calorimetry is a job, and that physicist can make
errors.