Thank you for the very clear instructions, Ronni, which I have carried out
(and for the offer of help had I been stuck).  IMAP on the iPhone may have
been the culprit and perhaps it has been happening for some time, but not
with any thing important and so went unnoticed.  Thank you Tim and Rob for
your informative suggestions.  Time will tell, but it's a little like
Rumsfeldt's "The things we don't know we don't know" and so I won't really
be able to report back unless something is obviously wrong..
With best wishes,
Jennifer