On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:42:54 -0400 Dennis Schridde
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >But then we can scrap the whole project. We have already
>modified
>> >the data, we even scrapped the WDG format that's used on the
>CDs, so
>> >for our current SVN, the CDs are useless. And it degrades us
>into the role
>> >of curators, we can just keep the game running on modern
>systems
>> >instead of evolving it.
>>
>> Ugh.  Yeah, that would be true.  Digging through logs/e-mails @
>> berlios & RTS forums, seems that Qamly was to blame for this.
>He is not _to blame_ for this. This was intended and decided by
>most of the
>devs. And even today I think that it was a good choice to change
>the
>container format.

Poor choice of words on my part.  I should have said Qamly
suggested a new format.

>> Looks like the GPL issue was either ignored, or they didn't look
>at
>> it close enough. :(
>The latter I think.
>
>> His reason was we needed a format that was easy to
>modify/change.
>> Does anyone have whatever he used to convert the wdg files to
>zip
>> files?  Someone must, since the map pack was made ?
>There is a program named wdgexplorer for Windows I think.
>That was used to get the data out of the wdg. The names of the
>files were
>craped then, since wdg uses IDs or hashes instead of names.
>After the names had been restored it was ziped.
>
>Same applies for the map pack. Lot's of work that has to be done
>by hand
>because there is no automatism to do it.
>
>--Dennis

I don't think that is the case.  There was a utility involved to do
the converting.  I know I read it either in the logs or perhaps
mailing list.  Rodzilla or Coyote would know for sure though.  I
will ask them in a e-mail if the address I got for them is still
valid.

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account
required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485