On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 06:59:32 -0400 Dennis Schridde
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Am Samstag, 23. September 2006 06:10 schrieb [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>> I just had a thought, perhaps we can get ahold of:
>>
>> http://www.fsf.org/about/contact.html
>>
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for questions about the GPL and free
>software
>> licensing
>>
>> Maybe they can help us out with some advice and what to do/how
>> proceed ?
>We could. But we also allready asked on debian-legal and those
>said that the
>data may be GPL and may be not. The only safe way to find out
>would be by
>contacting the copyright holders.
>Feel free to write them a mail and CC it to this list...
>And don't forget to send any answers you get from them also to us.

You got the mail from debian-legal?  Perhaps you can post that to
the list?

>> Worst case scenerio is we can ONLY distribute the source
>code/bins
>> of the source code, and that is it, then we leave it up to the
>end-
>> users to get the data off of warzone demo or the official CD
>> release, or have some repository that can hold the data we now
>have
>> there.
>(If I remember correctly Gna only allows GPLed stuff on their
>servers for
>legal reasons.)

Yeah, and Christian brought up the fact that we (Qamly it looks
like) *already* converted the data.  Without that utility, then
there is no way for linux/mac people to play if they score their
own wdg files.

>> Why would German law pre-empt UK law?  Or does that not matter?
>> For that matter, US law vs UK law vs German law?  What is the
>> difference for these kinds of matters?
>I decided to write to Eidos Germany because I live there, I know
>the language
>and the mail is cheaper.
>The idea is not to put Warzone under German law or anything. I
>just want to
>force the Eidos company to decide something and I think I can do
>that best
>when I write in German, because then I know what I am writing.
>
>> I know here, you need to have a actual written letter, and it
>must
>> be certified,
>Yes, I thought that in the beginning and I know now. If I do it it
>will be a
>written, certified mail.
>
>> and I agree with Christian, I don't think you can do it that
>way.
>Why not? As I said in the last mail the approach in general is
>common
>practice.

Common practice in Germany perhaps, just not here in the U.S.
The only way to force them to reply is a lawsuit of some kind, that
asks the courts for clarification.  Extremely expensive though. :(

Concerned about your privacy? Instantly send FREE secure email, no account
required
http://www.hushmail.com/send?l=480

https://www.hushssl.com?l=485