Jan, while you're experimenting, try a totally fluid design sans table.

css
        .left{float:left; width:32%;}
        .next{clear:both;}
xhtml

That will give you 3 columns with a little extra to handle cross-browser
width calculation problems. Be sure to clear or you get really interesting
results when the browser tries to cram the next box in the 1% left over.

Or a more complex design:

css
        .nav{float:left; width:22%;}
        .main{float:left; width:77%;}
        .dual{float:left; width:48%;}
        .next{clear:both;}

xhtml

With current browsers (post 4x) you can actually combine classes which makes
the css even more flexible. Although this does tend to annoy some people.

When using tables in css, read the Table chapter closely. The rules are
different for table markup.

drew