I'll see both problems and another solution to work around this.
We could install web2py into /usr/ directories with apt.

Then create a startup script that makes a copy of web2py and the
web2py applications that are installed trough apt  to the /var folder.
A so called runtime version of web2py.

We could let the script also take care of different users/password/
applications.

Then i've one minnor question.
Shall we keep the development versions of under var.
Not best location, because var may get destroyed with an exception
for /var/spool

So Dima, do you know a place where we could put the applications
imported through web2py mechanisme?

regards Mark