I am not sure I understand. If I understand you are proposing:

1) installing web2py into /usr/ as it (it will not run there)
2) provide a script to allow users to make a copy of what is needed
for runtime (inluding applications/)
3) allow the user to run from the folder where files have been copied
but using the shared gluon files.

If I understand I am fine with this.