On 7/7/20 12:47 PM, Wolfgang Hartmann via Webobjects-dev wrote:
Although I am not working anymore with webobjects but with more recent technologies I was still the one who did the last updates on the wolips-project. And therefore here is my opinion about the discussion of work to be done on the wolips-plugin:

As you can see in the commit-history for my account "Wolfy42" (https://github.com/wocommunity/wolips/graphs/contributors) there was some annual necessary. The reason for that was that the wolips-plugin is based on the completely outdated eclipse e3-platform. Since around 2012 all new versions of eclipse are based on the e4-plaform. Eclipse knowns that not all plugins are actively maintained and the upgrade to the e4-platform can be a lot of work and therefore there are a lot of compatibility-layers which could be applied so that also old plugins are capable of running in new releases of the platform. That was the annual work I was doing in the wolips-project.

I was not even aware of the e3 vs e4 issues, so this information is appreciated.
But this compatibility-layer is also the reason why the plugin is rather slow and that it is possible that there is more annual work necessary. Every year there is a new version of eclipse with the possibility to break a lot of old plugins ...

I think it would be relevant to break down the parts of wolips and consider which part should be maintained or updated. I think the major parts of the wolips-project are:

* The Component-Editor with the Binding-Validation: I think this is the most relevant part and should be completely updated with a current HTML-Editor and it should be upgraded to the e4-platform. And the race-conditions in the binding-validator should be fixed. If you look at the amount of "synchronized"-keywords in the binding-validation-code it should be consider to rewrite it from scratch. The ruleset how the bindings have to be validator can still be reused
Agreed.
* Hot-Code-Replacement (=automatic component-class-reloading) after changing the components. This is a very relevant part and should be automatically available without the need of third-party-technologies like JRebel * The EO-Modeler: This is still a relevant part when working with existing projects but there are other good database-domainmodel-modeling-tools out there. It should be considered if one of them should be extended to just generate the .plist-files and .java-files necessary. Maybe even the cayenne-modeler could help here because I consider cayenne to be a modern version of EOF
There probably are better tools. But...
* The EO-Reverse-Engineer-Tool: This should be completely ignored because no new project should be started with EOF. If someone still wants to use webobjects than at least the database-layer should be based on cayenne or JPA-Hibernate.
I strongly disagree with this. I can create a database and tables, shove some data in, create a Wonder project, reverse-engineer, add a wo:loop and a wo:str to a main page and see data in a browser in under 5 minutes. Which other tools can do this?
* All the "wizards": The only wizard necessary is the one to generate new Components (all the .wod, .woo, .api and .java-files necessary). All other wizards are irrelevant * All the "refactorings": The only one relevant is the one to rename a component (=rename all the files/folder in one step). The other ones are not relevant.

Although webobjects is long dead and not maintained for 12 years now there are still some great and maintained projects built with webobjects out there and therefore it is relevant to have a a good development-environment. Although sometimes I had the feeling that my eclipse was hating me it is still a good IDE.

I absolutely bow down to Wolfy for his wolips work. I certainly have not managed to contribute, though I have set up the wolips dev environment several times. Getting started doing this dev work is just a huge pill to swallow all at once.

But let's not get rid of things that are still very usuable and very useful.

And I agree with another's comment that we should make sure the issues are clear and reproducible before we point someone at them.

cheers - ray

Best Regards,
Wolfy