Todd Grimason wrote:
This was discussed in regards to a logo for Python overall, to the
point that heads exploded, but I'll mention it anyway:

You generally need to decide whom your logo is meant to appeal to, and
what values it should relay.

[Here I would cut and paste 987906 emails from the marketing list]

In short - if the goal is to be taken more seriously, and
"professional", I'd vote against cartoon-ish approaches. Yes, even to
the point of "boring", though hopefully not.

Realistically, Webware isn't going to appeal to the people that a corporate logo would appeal to. Webware has the potential to bring in developers who are enthusiastic about Python. Those developers may, in turn, convince boring corporate types. But the boring corporate types just don't hang out in the same circles as Webware. They probably don't even appreciate where Webware sits in the stack of tools a developer would use.

If the point is just a catchy logo other Python programmers will
appreciate, then it's less vital - though if their usage is dependent
on departmental approval, it still matters.

We don't have any corporate backing or much of that appeal, but we can still appeal to management types that have an appreciation for open source software and the environment that entails. That's my evaluation of Webware's appeal strictly on a technical level.

In that light, Webware needs not to show that it is corporate, but that it is alive and actively supported. And even if there's not a huge amount of active development of the Webware core, it *is* consistently supported by the community on this list. And an enlightened manager *will* still be concerned about the viability of the project.

From that perspective an irreverent logo doesn't really hurt -- what you really need to show is that there's some care and effort. A quite valid criticism is that currently the Webware site doesn't show that. So I think it's more important to do *something* rather than the "right" thing. Personally, this logo is the one I like best so far. But I wouldn't veto another logo.

Just thought I'd shortcut things here so we don't repeat that long
long thread.