On Tuesday, February 16, 2021 at 2:08:23 PM UTC-8 Tom Keffer wrote:

> The thread is here: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=40437.0
>
> Pretty creepy that the GW1000 does that.

Multiple people including me asked for a simple on/off switch for the
watchdogs so we could run LAN-only and they said no.

At least it can be faked on the LAN if you have enough network-fu, but we
shouldn't have to do stuff like that.

Their email back to me was:

    For your issue, our engineer responsed as below:
    The client's server replies with 200 OK after receiving the data and
will not restart after replying with UTC time, for example:

    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Server: Tengine
    Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 15:58:58 GMT
    Vary: Accept-Encoding

    When GW1000 receives "200 OK", it will think it is connected to the
Internet, and when it receives "Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 15:58:58 GMT", it
will synchronize time.

    The user needs to respond time to the device from the server, then the
running time of the device could be correct, otherwise the rainfall
statistics will be incorrect.

    We could not do that by a firmware update.

I'm calling baloney on that last sentence, and they of course could make it
discretionary.   Many (most?) don't even have a rain bucket so why would
this be necessary for other folks as the general rule anyway.   Kinda bugs
me to say the least.   Imagine what else could be forced that way.

(other example - WeatherFlow sets up an unencrypted MQTT session to 'their'
servers)