I think someone else (eleazar, frame, maybe darth fool?) proposed this before, somewhere in Dev. Discussions. It wasn't rejected - it just fizzled out because no-one had the time to code it, then. I also really need to make those "Damage type"/"range" icons.

I do agree that this is probably a good thing to have optional.