I agree about keeping the ID's on the pictures - for the Netherlands,
whenever I sort a WLM picture into a category I copy the template to the
category for browsing convenience, but I certainly never remove it from the
picture. We *want* those tags on the picture so people can easily look for
pictures by ID number. And there are still a lot of pictures from last year
to put in categories by the way, in case anyone is interested!


2011/8/3 GoEthe.wiki <[email protected]>

> Hi, Nuno.
> I don't think removing the IGESPAR template from files makes sense even if
> there is a category for the object.
> Note that the template can be changed so that it shows a different text and
> categorize it differently if it is included in different domains.
> I already did a few changes to the template so that it only includes the
> [[Category:Cultural heritage monuments in Portugal with known IDs]] in file
> pages.
>
> This makes sure that the same template can be used for your issue 1. and
> the issue 2. It also means that we can change the {{IGESPAR}},  {{SIPA}},
> whatever, to have similar behaviour in file pages in order to categorize in
> the same top-level category. I don't think there is a problem to have a file
> both down the category tree and in a over-arching category with all photos.
>
> Best,
> Gonçalo
>
>
>
>
> 2011/8/3 Nuno Tavares <[email protected]>
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I didn't quite get the beginning of this thread, but I have some remarks
>> from what I understand. First of all, there seem to be two issues here:
>>
>> 1. Organization issue: Having a category tree to allow browsing by
>> "ID-enabled" images (in WLM-PT we have linked commons categories with
>> object ids whenever possible);
>>
>> 2. Convenience issue: Having a specific category for images of country
>> objects to pass on to the jury, as a pool of candidates.
>>
>> Jane, the unfortunate part is that I've been removing the {{IGESPAR}}
>> template from all images I've found whenever there is a category for the
>> "objects" in question (or one that I have created for that purpose).
>> That's what makes sense to me, anyway, but doesn't invalidate having
>> whatever top-categories - in this case, "Cultural heritage monuments in
>> Portugal with known IDs" (it would aggregate
>> {{IGESPAR}}+{{DRAC-RAM}}+{{DRAM-RAA}} then, although I'm (lazily) using
>> Category:IGESPAR for that.
>>
>> Lodewijk, complementing, the country-specific category could be fetched
>> from the parameters passed to the form, right? I believe we already
>> agreed on passing an ID and a Country.
>>
>> Susana, I actually believe we should categorize a lot! See:
>> - Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011, for those who want to dig into
>> *all* images from *all* contries - like Europeana's Art Noveau Juri;
>> - Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011_Portugal, for Portuguese Juri;
>> - Imóveis_de_Interesse_Público_in_Lisbon (replace "Imóveis de Interesse
>> Público" and "Lisbon" accordingly) to keep up with the current category
>> structure, which is IGESPAR related.
>> - Campo_Pequeno - which is the building category;
>> - IGESPAR - inherited from {{IGESPAR}} (and due to my laziness, DRAC-RAM
>> and DRAC-RAA) which is used to tag an ID into the picture (or category).
>> - Up to now, I'm expected that the categories get automatically placed,
>> either from the form, or a post-bot-run. Eventually there are others:
>> manually inserted, like "Palaces in Portugal", and those related to
>> geolocalization that don't interfere with anything, I believe.
>>
>> In short, Jane and Susana, I wouldn't mix {{IGESPAR}} and
>> {{Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011_Portugal}} purposes. The former
>> is for keeping a link between the lists, and the second is for the Juri.
>>
>> You can imagine how the bottom of the page will look, though :)
>>
>>
>> Béria, just a note regarding SIPA and IGESPAR: only IGESPAR's objects
>> have some kind of protection; this means SIPA's shouldn't have
>> designations like "Monumento Nacional". In the end, roughly, all SIPA
>> are "unprotected".
>>
>> This also means the everyone relying to IGESPAR id should be clarified
>> by now: the monument ID is a specific WLM id. Its range will dictate to
>> which it refers to: IGESPAR, Azores, Madeira or SIPA.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Nuno Tavares
>> Wikimedia Portugal
>> http://www.wikimedia.pt
>>
>> Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que
>> estamos a fazer.
>>
>> Participe também: http://www.wikimedia.pt
>>
>> Em 03-08-2011 09:53, Lodewijk escreveu:
>> > There should be country specific subcategories there indeed - you are
>> > correct :) I suggest putting this category /in/ your country specific
>> > contest template. Not sure if someone already designed one actually to
>> > be re-used. Besides that I believe there are some temporary categories
>> > involved, like "needs to be included in the lists" etc which involved
>> > more manual work but can be done by anyone who knows Wikipedia.
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Lodewijk
>> >
>> > 2011/8/3 Susana Morais <[email protected]
>> > <mailto:[email protected]>>
>> >
>> >     Hello all,
>> >
>> >     I have some questions. For the WLM competition we will ask the
>> >     participant to upload the photo with the ID number (he has
>> >     previously seen in that great list we have in our site :)). Then the
>> >     photo will be automatically (?) tagged under a specific sub-cat in
>> >     this
>> >     category
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Images_from_Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011
>> ,
>> >     right? Do the categories need to be more specific for the
>> >     competition (this doenst mean we shouldnt be thinking how to
>> >     organize them better after the wlm)? I think that it is easier
>> >     during the WLM to have all photos in the competition in one simple
>> >     category (easier for the jury).
>> >
>> >     Susana
>> >
>> >
>> >     2011/8/3 Jane Darnell <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]
>> >>
>> >
>> >         Béria,
>> >         The key here is the word "monument". In order for a WLM
>> >         participant to upload a photo based on local instructions, he
>> >         needs an ID number. Presumeably he/she has found this number
>> >         from your wonderful Portuguese map with ID coordinates on your
>> >         WLM website, am I right?
>> >
>> >         In the Netherlands, some (not ALL) Rijksmonuments have the
>> >         number physically on a brown plaque on the building itself. What
>> >         do you call this number? I assume you do not call it "Cultural
>> >         heritage monument number". In order to match it to either the
>> >         IGESPAR or SIPA numbers you will need to have a key in the ID
>> >         number, won't you?
>> >
>> >         I noticed the following situation:
>> >         http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Campo_Pequeno_Lisboa
>> >         is tagged with the template {{IGESPAR|74571|type=IIP}}
>> >         I would therefore expect to see this category have photo's
>> >         tagged with this same number, but for example,
>> >         http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Campo_Pequeno_lisbon.JPG
>> >         is not tagged.
>> >         I would expect the category to be placed in a category called
>> >         "Category:IGESPAR objects in Lisbon (district)", but I see the
>> >         category "Category:Imóveis de Interesse Público in Lisbon
>> >         (district)" instead.
>> >
>> >         I suppose the template sub-tag "IIP" stands for "Imóveis de
>> >         Interesse Público", so I get that you have broken your
>> >         designations down by type, but I am curious how you will
>> >         instruct the jury to choose foto's if the photo's themselves are
>> >         not tagged. Though my Portuguese is pretty bad, I think the
>> >         (spectacular) pictures of the bulls themselves, which are also
>> >         in that category are not "Imóveis".
>> >
>> >         Jane
>> >
>> >         2011/8/3 Béria Lima <[email protected]
>> >         <mailto:[email protected]>>
>> >
>> >             We have lists outside IGESPAR. The IGESPAR one has 4K
>> >             monuments, the SIPA one almost 40K. We are using both.
>> >             _____
>> >             /Béria Lima/
>> >             Wikimedia Portugal <http://wikimedia.pt>
>> >             (351) 963 953 042
>> >
>> >             /Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a
>> >             possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de todo o
>> >             conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a fazer./
>> >
>> >
>> >             On 3 August 2011 08:39, Jane Darnell <[email protected]
>> >             <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
>> >
>> >                 Béria,
>> >                 Maybe I am just too unfamiliar with the technicalities,
>> >                 but my feeling would be yes, stuff all 4 categories into
>> >                 "IGESPAR objects in Portugal with known IDs". Under this
>> >                 toplevel, there should be for example, a category called
>> >                 "Monumentos Nacionais with known IDs".
>> >
>> >                 Is there a problem with the WLM database that you can't
>> >                 have subcategories for the top-level ones? Or do you
>> >                 mean that you have lists outside of IGESPAR?
>> >
>> >                 Jane
>> >
>> >
>> >                 2011/8/2 Béria Lima <[email protected]
>> >                 <mailto:[email protected]>>
>> >
>> >                     Portugal can't use a single name. We have 4 types of
>> >                     monuments ( see here:
>> >
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2011_in_Portugal
>> >                     ).
>> >
>> >                     We can create 4 "main categories", but they would
>> >                     still need to be under a "Cultural Heritage in
>> >                     Portugal" category.
>> >                     _____
>> >                     /Béria Lima/
>> >                     Wikimedia Portugal <http://wikimedia.pt>
>> >                     (351) 963 953 042
>> >
>> >                     /Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a
>> >                     possibilidade de ter livre acesso ao somatório de
>> >                     todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
>> >                     fazer./
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >                     On 2 August 2011 11:11, Kilian Kluge
>> >                     <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> >                         Hi Jane,
>> >
>> >                         in Germany the trouble is that in every state
>> >                         there are different names for essentially the
>> >                         same thing. Some just have "Kulturdenkmale"
>> >                         (cultural heritage monuments), some have
>> >                         "Baudenkmale" ("building heritage monuments"),
>> >                         some have both, some differentiate between three
>> >                         or four categories... It's already a bit
>> >                         confusing on de-wp, where as a result the lists
>> >                         for each state have different naming schemes,
>> >                         and I doubt that it'd be helpful to carry this
>> >                         to Commons.
>> >
>> >                         Kilian
>> >
>> >                         On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Jane Darnell
>> >                         <[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>>
>> >                         wrote:
>> >
>> >                             Hi all,
>> >                             I am sending out a new message, since I feel
>> >                             this issue is pretty important and impacts a
>> >                             lot of Wikipedia projects. The other issues
>> >                             that Bas addressed also need follow up, but
>> >                             let's tackle these categories first.
>> >
>> >                             This is the list of categories as they stand
>> >                             today on Commons in the top level category
>> >                             (see the email from Bas):
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Andorra with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Austria with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Onroerend erfgoed with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Brussels with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Estonia (with known IDs)
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Hesse with known ID
>> >                             Category:Rijksmonumenten with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Portugal with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Romania with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Spain with known IDs
>> >                             Category:Cultural heritage monuments in
>> >                             Wallonia with known IDs
>> >
>> >                             I think only the Belgians and the Dutch have
>> >                             chosen their names well, because they are
>> >                             using the terms that are covered by law in
>> >                             their country. The other categories should
>> >                             be renamed to reflect the legal term in
>> >                             those countries. My reasons are as follows:
>> >                             1) The term "Cultural heritage monument" is
>> >                             not defined anywhere, in any country's
>> >                             wikipedia.
>> >                             2) We are using a formal designation that
>> >                             has been assigned by a government agency and
>> >                             is covered by the European Council's
>> >                             international law on cultural property. In
>> >                             order to refer to the proper designation, we
>> >                             need the formal name of the designation.
>> >                             3) The sub categories are going to have
>> >                             native names anyway, so why have a strangely
>> >                             named top-level category that no one
>> >                             understands (including English-speakers)?
>> >                             4) When we make interwiki links to these
>> >                             things we should be consistent across all
>> >                             countries.
>> >
>> >                             I noticed a confusing situation has already
>> >                             occurred in the German Wikipedia, where the
>> >                             top level category for the Austrian
>> >                             monuments is "Kategorie:Liste
>> >                             (Kulturdenkmale in Österreich)", when I
>> >                             fully expected it to be
>> >                             "Kategorie:Denkmalgeschütztes Objekte". On
>> >                             Commons I would expect
>> >                             "Category:Denkmalgeschütztes Objekte with
>> >                             known IDs", and in the English Wikipedia, I
>> >                             named it "Category:Denkmalgeschütztes
>> Objekte".
>> >
>> >                             Jane
>> >
>> >
>> _______________________________________________
>> >                             Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >                             [email protected]
>> >                             <mailto:
>> [email protected]>
>> >
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >                             http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >                         _______________________________________________
>> >                         Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >                         [email protected]
>> >                         <mailto:[email protected]>
>> >
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >                         http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >                     _______________________________________________
>> >                     Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >                     [email protected]
>> >                     <mailto:[email protected]>
>> >
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >                     http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >                 _______________________________________________
>> >                 Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >                 [email protected]
>> >                 <mailto:[email protected]>
>> >
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >                 http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >             _______________________________________________
>> >             Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >             [email protected]
>> >             <mailto:[email protected]>
>> >
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >             http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >         _______________________________________________
>> >         Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >         [email protected]
>> >         <mailto:[email protected]>
>> >         https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >         http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >     _______________________________________________
>> >     Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> >     [email protected]
>> >     <mailto:[email protected]>
>> >     https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> >     http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> > [email protected]
>> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> > http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
>> [email protected]
>> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
>> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
> http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu
>
_______________________________________________
Wiki Loves Monuments mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikilovesmonuments
http://www.wikilovesmonuments.eu

Reply via email to