Hi all,

Judging by the replies we think we've failed to communicate clearly
some of the ideas we wanted to put forward, and we'd like to take the
opportunity to try to clear that up.

We did not want to narrow this down to be only about a third party
toolserver.  Before we initiated contact we noticed the need for
adding more resources to the existing cluster.  Therefore we also had
in mind the idea of augmenting the toolserver, rather than attempt to
create a competitor for it.  For instance this could help allow the
toolserver to also host applications requiring some amounts of text
crunching, which is currently not feasible as far as we can tell.

Additionally we think there could perhaps be two paths to account
creation, one for Wikipedians and one for researchers, with the
research path laid out with clearer documentation on the requirements
projects would need to fit the toolserver and what the application
should contain, which combined with faster feedback would aid to make
the process easier for the researchers.

We hope that this clears up some central points in our ideas
surrounding a "research oriented toolserver".  Currently we are
exploring several ideas and this particular one might not become more
than a thought and a thread on a mailing list.  Nonetheless perhaps
there are thoughts here that can become more solid somewhere down the
line.

Morten Warncke-Wang, Research Assistant
John Riedl, Professor
GroupLens Research