Morten Warncke-Wang schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> Judging by the replies we think we've failed to communicate clearly
> some of the ideas we wanted to put forward, and we'd like to take the
> opportunity to try to clear that up.
>
> We did not want to narrow this down to be only about a third party
> toolserver.  Before we initiated contact we noticed the need for
> adding more resources to the existing cluster.  Therefore we also had
> in mind the idea of augmenting the toolserver, rather than attempt to
> create a competitor for it.  For instance this could help allow the
> toolserver to also host applications requiring some amounts of text
> crunching, which is currently not feasible as far as we can tell.

That would be excellent.

> Additionally we think there could perhaps be two paths to account
> creation, one for Wikipedians and one for researchers, with the
> research path laid out with clearer documentation on the requirements
> projects would need to fit the toolserver and what the application
> should contain, which combined with faster feedback would aid to make
> the process easier for the researchers.

I think this should be done for all accounts. Why only researchers?

> We hope that this clears up some central points in our ideas
> surrounding a "research oriented toolserver".  Currently we are
> exploring several ideas and this particular one might not become more
> than a thought and a thread on a mailing list.  Nonetheless perhaps
> there are thoughts here that can become more solid somewhere down the
> line.

In order to develop ideas, it would be useful to get some idea of what kind of
resources you think you can contribute, and under what terms and in what
timeframe. I know that talking money in public is usually a bad idea, especially
if the money isn't really there yet. If you like, contact me in private,
preferrably under my office address, daniel.kinzler AT wikimedia.de. I'm
responsible for toolserver operations, so I suppose it's my job to look into
this.

-- daniel