Thanks for the responses, all.

Daniel and Bilal: the notes about the possible servers at Syracuse and
Concordia are very interesting; it sounds like the researchers
interested in such things should team up.

Daniel: I am not sure what type of data is needed -- this is not my
project (I'm only the messenger!) but I'll pass along your message and
send you private details (and encourage the researcher to reply
himself).

River: Well, you say that part of the issue with the toolserver is
money and time... and this person that I've been talking to is
offering to throw money and time at the problem. So, what can they
constructively do?

All: Like I said, I am unclear on the technical issues involved, but
as for why a separate "research toolserver" might be useful... :
I see a difference in the type of information a researcher might want
to pull (public data, large sets of related page information,
full-text mining, ??) and the types of tools that the current
toolserver mainly supports (editcount tools, catscan, etc). I also see
a difference in how the two groups might be authenticated -- there's a
difference between being a trusted Wikipedian or trusted Wikimedia
developer and being a trusted technically-competent researcher (for
instance, I recognized the affiliation of the person who was trying to
apply, because I've read their research papers; but if you were going
on wikimedia status alone, they don't have any).

-- Phoebe

<at> gmail.com *