I would like to add to Cal's question another one:

How well do these tweaking architectures (Meru, Xirrus, etc...)
play with neighboring 802.11 networks?
(read: the ones that you don't control)

802.11 was designed with the unlicensed spectrum in mind,
Meru and Xirrus etc.. are using typical architectures of the Licensed
spectrum.

It might have better performances, but isn't missing the whole
point of 802.11?

Another question would be:
For those .EDU using Xirrus and Meru, how is your experience when
other ISM or UNII networks are around you?

eg: you use Meru with Channel 6 and another network is interfering on
channel 6 what's the solution (besides deny it ;-) ?

Best,

Philippe

Philippe Hanset
University of Tennessee, Knoxville