Just out of curiosity, do you have one of your adverts posted somewhere?

No, we don't advertise. All referral or direct sales.

into a selling point.

Note that I was using the "Latency" example as just one of many possible answers one could give a customer instead of the answer that they were looking for which would give the competitor the upper hand. If you give less transfer speed than the competitor, then that factor is last thing you want on the customer's mind on, as the factor to measure a provider's value. If Latency doesn;t make sense, use "service".

I'm really interested to see how you make packet latency (which for most bulk traffic is a nearly useless metric of "speed" as the customer would perceive it) into a selling point.

First off, in true technical theory, it is my opinion, that Latency =speed, Transfer rate = capacity. Latency is the "speed" in which one packet goes from point A to Point B. Transfer rate is the "quantity of packets" that can be transfered within a specific time. Therefore the Term "Speed" is incorrectly used in marketing.

The question that comes up is... What "capacity" does an end user typically need for their most common usages?

MP4 Streaming Video-- only needs 400kbps.
VOIP --- only need MAX of 70kbps.
Web Browsing, VERY LITTLE, as most images are web optimized.

In a 5mbps service, the MAJORITY of the capacity goes unused.
However, High latency ALWAYS has a negative impact on feel.

Most residendial or business subs don't use the Internet for primarilly Downloading. Therefore, Transfer rate rarely important.

Sure if you are a IT guy -constantly downloading software drivers, or a Designer or Architec -constantly transfering CAD/Layout files, sure "Transfer Rate" is going to be important to you. Or if you are a kid, doing Limewire, you are going to be big on Transfer Rate. But you know what, those same kids use online games, and latency is big for the gaming. Plus Adults make their buying decissions for their Adult's needs, not their childrens. (meaning hourly wage of a kid nothing, parent on the other hand sqweezing every minute out of the day) The average person uses the Internet for other things. Have of them don't even know how to do a download. 90% of what a person does on WebSites is small data. They are on Amazon, Ebay, and that kind of stuff.
Latency on the other hand, gives a feeling of immediate response.
Latency helps, VPNs, Remote connectivity, better typing response, etc, etc.

For residential PRICE is probably the Biggest factor. Needing technical HELP is probably the second biggest, because Paying for technical help is EXPENSIVE. But "transfer rate" very few can take advantage of it, based on today's typical use.

PS. I recognize next generation applications such as HD TV, can easilly justify GB transfer rates to the home. But we aren't in that generation today.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>