On Dec 6, 2009, at 3:24 AM, MDK wrote:

> It's my understanding that for purposes of insurance, the rules that govern
> 1099 work are being changed dramatically.    The "subcontractor" status is
> mostly going to go away.     This will mean that if someone runs his own
> business, but only works for you,  bye bye status... and that includes
> workman's comp, unemployment, withholdings, etc.

That has always been true, at least in New York State (I don't know when it's a
state issue or a fed issue, but either way, that is a serious no-no out here).
I guess Fed. Ex. seems to do it, but I think that's a different set of rules.

> Heaven only knows if this is in whatever abomination

I guess I buy into the fact that there's a problem and a solution is needed.
Unfortunately, when there are 100 different views about the solution, you do
end up with something less than ideal.

Personally, I wish it was single payer, period, and I could forget about it.
With how fast the costs rise out here, and with the changes in the programs
every year (including what is, and is not, covered), I'd give a lot to get out
of having to deal with it.

Chuck

> is finally produced,
> but the intent is definitely to pretty much end this kind of stuff.   One of
> the ways that was in one of the bills, was to force all individuals who work
> under that status to buy insurance.

Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
(607) 257-8268

"When the stars threw down their spears,
and water'd heaven with their tears,
Did He smile, His work to see?
Did He who made the Lamb make thee?"