It seemed to me like when I was paying for health insurance for my
family it was a huge waste of money. I'm from England. In England, if
you buy insurance for something it covers you. Over here in the US it
always seems to cover you UP TO a certain dollar amount, IF the wind
is blowing in the right direction. So it never takes all the risk
away. Same with car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, etc.

Another thing is, if you go to hospital, and you pay cash for your
treatment, it costs a fraction of what they would have charged to the
insurance company. And another problem was, since I was "only" paying
about a hundred dollars a month for coverage, the insurance covered
only 80% of my treatment, AFTER the first $5,000 and only did that if
it was "in network".

So with insurance, I'd end up paying maybe 20% of $100,000 instead of
100% of $40,000 or something plus the $5000 deductable. I don't know
the percentages or the numbers, but it seemed like it was a whole lot
of expense for only a very small amount of coverage.

I had a friend who had a triple heart bypass. They gave him the bill
for loadsa money, assuming he would pay it over a long period of time.
When he said he was paying cash outright, it cost a tiny fraction of
the amount the bill was for.

So, all things considered, it seemed to me like I was paying a lot of
money for almost no coverage.

So what we did was, instead of paying a hundred bucks a month to our
health insurance, we paid a hundred bucks a month into our savings
account, to cover emergency costs.

The great thing about this is, the savings cover ANY emergency, not
just a broken bone, but if a tornado tears the house down, or car
crash or getting sued or whatever.

Seems like health insurance was approximately equal to throwing our
money down the drain.

Thanks,
Roger