There are many ways to do this, which one is best, really depends on the
'Trust Level' in the group. I have found that it is easier to develop
trust on a one on one basis, ( I trust you , and you trust John, so by
the virtue of my trust in you, I can trust John...etc).Sometimes doing
things at a Group Level tends to be better other times, it complicates
simple matters. The most important thing to keep in mind is that, the
agreements should be aligned to make sure that everyone's interests are
in alignment.

In most of my dealings, the primary contract is held by one of the  ISP,
and they are billing the 'downstream' isp.

e.g. We are the primary contract holder for IP Transit out of
Atlanta.... and another ISP is the primary contract holder for IP
Transit out of Miami, etc...

The key area of contentions  are two ....

1. Make sure that the Primary Contract holder is financially strong and
not going to dip out on the contract.

2. Make sure that ISP/WISP's have a good / open communication among each
other and have a high level of Trust between each other.

-----------
Heck, most of the Wireline ISP's in Florida are now 'private peered'
with each other, have been buying / selling excess capacity and
leveraging existing contracts for distance sensitive services from each
other's POP's...

And now, working on doing the SAME one our Wireless Networks as we are
building them out....

It makes no sense for me to go into the next county to build a tower
when I can purchase access at a pre-negotiated rate from the ISP who is
'Local' to that county.. and vice versa.

..Yes, most of us are not going after the sub $50 or accounts... Those
tend to be piddly.. rather just refer those customers to the local
ISP/WISP, but getting customers who are looking for t1 replacements /
upgrade  or Metro Ethernet Replacements / upgrades running into hundreds
of $ / month. plenty of margin to keep everyone happy.. makes it a far
better business practice than the alternative.

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom