I am not sure regulated or unregulated monopolies are a good thing. Locally the water company put pipe in the ground 50+ years ago. Because they are monopoly they have no competition. So, no need to provide better service today than yesterday. So now they have pipes breaking all the time and they patch the holes. Telephone is the same. Since VZ had no competition, they did not have to provide better service today than yesterday. So now they have wire in the ground that is ancient and the static is terrible in some areas. The fix is to for each customer that calls and complains enough, they find the bad spot and run a new piece of Cat3 wire from pedestal A to pedestal B and hang it on the fence so hopefully the local farmer or road crew won't catch it in the mower. I would argue that had these companies had competition they would have maintained the infrastructure to be able to provide the best possible service to avoid losing customers. So how did the consumer win in these instances?