On 2 Dec 2019 at 17:06, Paul Randall wrote:

> It may be unrelated but a station very local to me on 2m transmits a
> huge wideband splat of noise at the start of his FT8 transmissions. I
> think what I am hearing is all the noise in his shack, the fan in his
> qro linear etc, all picked up by his microphone which presumably is
> still plugged in. With speech compression this can make a lot of power
> before the FT8 tones start and suppress it.
>
> Paul G3NJV

I've often observed a similar situation on primarily (IIRC) 80m FT8 - there's
(at least!) one
station whose transmissions always start with a huge burst of what sounds like
background
noise.  Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to identify which of the numerous
stations on
80m FT8 is the culprit.

My recently-acquired IC-7610 rig and I believe my previous couple of Icom rigs
- IC-7600 and
IC-756 Pro III - all had the facility for specifying the modulation signal
source when in an SSB
data mode.  I use the USB-D1 mode, and on the 7610 I've selected the modulation
input for
this mode to be the ACC1 rear-panel socket.  However, it does appear possible
to select
both ACC1 and MIC for the MOD input in USB-D1 mode which could cause problems
of
unwanted emanations if that option were to be selected.  The 7610's default MOD
input when
in USB-D1 mode is ACC1 alone.

I would assume that other makes of rig have a similar set of options for
specifying the
modulation input when an SSB data mode is selected; it shouldn't be beyond the
wit of most
operators to ensure that only the applicable option is selected via the menu
system!

---
Martin, G0HDB