[ Please reply in context. ]

Am Sonntag, den 18.07.2010, 17:36 -0400 schrieb Gerry Reno:

[…]

> The whole point of tool discussion in an open source project should be
> what tools make it easiest for the community as a whole to contribute,
> collaborate and participate in the project.

If you have two main developers, I would take that into consideration.
And since there is no big community yet, nobody knows what the community
is going to prefer.

> When you look at the massive success of forges such as Launchpad and
> SourceForge that didn't happen accidentally.  It happened because these
> forges are extremely good at providing all of the infrastructure,
> collaboration tools, tracking tools, and source code management tools
> for an open source project.

I also heard of some projects moving away from those services.

> To try and duplicate this type of free services using your own hardware,
> software, and infrastructure is just not possible.  Why go back and use
> 'bone knives and bearskins' with your own infrastructure and waste
> countless valuable hours reinventing the wheel when you can have all
> this handed to you on a silver platter for free?  I think this is why
> hundreds of thousands of projects are using the forges and spending
> their time thinking about their projects instead of all the necessities
> of supporting an infrastructure.

As I have already written.

1. Independence. There is the danger that you are locked into the
project and depend on their reaction time. See the BerliOS and renaming
the mailing list issues. Using a server for yourself you are in control
of it.

2. As I have written. Maybe it is no overhead for Alex or Heinz since
they need to administer a server and those services anyway. We both do
not know that.

Thanks,

Paul