Hi Heinz, hi list-people,

On So 18 Jul 2010 19:18:43 CEST "Heinz-M. Graesing" wrote:

-1-----

[...]

Is it ok to use git as "version control and code publishing tool"

+1 from me

-2-----

[...]

I have no special preference here. I do not like registering for accounts on these portals and love to work with simple systems on my own servers (i.e. without GA & co.).

I think cascading VCS is quite helpful. Locally I'd also prefer working with git, the remote/public system should be supported as push method by GIT.

I like that Heinz mentions political aspects. I think we should take this in to account. Regarding this it might be sensible to set up our own VCS/tracker system. Actually, I think this is my favourite. Offering my working power here...

Do we need configurable ACL features on the VCS site? What do the named above platforms support in this respect?

-3-----

[...]

So again: What do you think?

I think a single mailing list will not suffice in the future. Here is a suggestion for a more versatile approach:

Generally:

  o mails / mailing lists as information service offer a passive retrieval of
    information
  o use WebGUIs offer active search for information (i.e. active retrieval of
    information)

Mailing lists (software e.g. Mailman):
--------------------------------------
  o x2go-c...@x2go.org (rw) - the core team
  o x2go-...@x2go.org (rw)- real developers
o x2go-us...@x2go.org (rw) - people who are rather using x2go than working on
    code
o x2go-annou...@x2go.org (read-only) - announce releases, security issues etc.
  o x2go-b...@x2go.org (read-only) - carbon copies of the upstream bug tracker
  o x2go-...@x2go.org (read-only) - carbon copies of VCS check-ins

An x2go-core list will be valuable if the core-team will grow some time in the future. Currently, Heinz and Alex seem to use direct verbal communication.

The x2go-dev list will deal with development/coding issues and also with internal discussions like this one.

The x2go-users list will deal with functionality of x2go (not necessarily with bugs). People who want to use x2go, but are not involved in the development, can ask their questions here. People like John, Gerry, Paul, Joerg, Mike ... can share knowledge here and help people with their questions. I think that normal users shall not be bothered with discussions like this one, neither with detailled discussion on difficult coding issues.

x2go-announce could be the ,,press release'' list. Information here could be a duplicate of the blog on blog.x2go.org. I recommend a duplicate service here because mail service is a passive service, a webblog an active service for information retrieval. People have different preferences how to get their information.

x2go-bugs is a duplicate of the bugtracker's tickets. Developers (and reporting users) can get informed on entries on the bugtrackers via mail (again: mails for passive retrieval, the bugtracker for active search).

x2go-vcs will inform developers about VCS check-ins.

For developers mail filtering to subfolders will be a must with this set of mailing lists...

Forum:
------
A forum for communication gets a -1 vote from me... I agree with Heinz that giving our list archives a nice frontend on the web is by far the better approach.

Tracker:
--------
With bug trackers I am not so experienced. Nice bug tracking features that I like are:

  o allow users to mail-watch a bug (without registration)
  o reference with URLs between bugtracker und VCS web-frontend

Both features are available with the Horde bugtracker (see below).

The bugtracker will be for handling upstream bugs only!!! It's not a forum for discussing things etc. If a discussion will start in the bugtracker the developers have to intervene and refer to the mailing lists as a discussion medium.

The bugtracker should not need registration for reporting users. Reporters of bugs should have to leave a mail address, though.

Code/Package development:
-------------------------
Then we should differentiate between code development and package maintenance (just some thoughts/suggestions):

CODE:
  o code development -> master branch of x2go VCS, handled by x2go bugtracker
  o code modularization (x2goclient related packages, x2goserver related
    packages, x2gothinclient related packages etc.)
o branching code -> branches in x2go VCS are supported, but maybe not handled
    by bugtracker (keeping the bugtracker simple)

PACKAGES:
  o debian package maintenance -> Heinz, Alex; free choice of methods(?)
  o ubuntu package maintenance -> Launchpad; Maintainer A
  o SuSE package maintenance -> ..., Maintainer B
  o Fedora package maintenance -> ..., Maintainer C
  o GenToo -> ..., Maintainer D
  o etc.

The upstream code will include the distro specific package folders (e.g. the /debian folder), but these folders have to be maintained and updated by the distro package maintainers. (Patches via e-Mail to the code module maintainer).

Bugs in the packages will be reported to the bugtracker of the distribution (Bugzilla for Redhat/Fedora, Launchpad for Ubuntu etc.). The corresponding package maintainers will differentiate package bugs from upstream bugs and will report these upstream bugs in the x2go bugtracker and optimally also provide patches for upstream bugs there.

TRACKER:
--------
Maybe gitbug is a possiblity too (bugs
stored inside the git)?

I just looked at a gitbug site. To me, gitbug does not look too promising... but may be the sites I looked at are not representative.

There was a time when I submitted quite some patches to bugs.horde.org (Kolab Groupware). The horde tracker Whups is a really nice ticket-tracking system.
http://www.horde.org/whups/

It works together with GIT (Horde used CVS for a very long time, but the project has recently migrated to GIT). And AFAIK Horde also has a VCS frontend for GIT available.

This also is just a set of ideas!!! I am open to anything that will work smoothly for us all!!!

@Heinz: maybe someone should be responsible for collecting ideas in the x2go-wiki. Will you do that? Or will you name someone? I agree with Paul that someone has to extract the brainstorming from the list.

Best,
Mike

--

DAS-NETZWERKTEAM
mike gabriel, dorfstr. 27, 24245 barmissen

eMail-LeseSchreibStunde: wochentags 8h-10h
mail: m.gabr...@das-netzwerkteam.de, http://das-netzwerkteam.de

freeBusy: