Hi James,
I will sign up for testing the infrastructure changes on AIX, OS390 and
Linux using xlC.  I will see if I can find someone to test OS400 as well.

For #20, I vote against.  I know of a few people who are still using it
(yes I prompt them to move off of it).  As of 2.6.0 it is in a separate
library so I don't think it that keeping it around would be so bad...

I would also like to add:
(26) Audit of all deprecated methods.  We shouldn't remove SAXParser (and
DeprecatedDOM :-) )but I think we should evaluate each deprecated method to
see if it can be removed.  This would be larger than item 22.  I would be
glad to put together the list of deprecated methods and get feedback on
what we should keep (if any)...

(11) Audit of XML Schema support.  We currently document that we support
the W3C Recommendation for May 2001.  I think we should move up to the W3C
Recommendation of October 2004.  Hopefully, we have already addressed most
of the errata but without doing the work can't say for sure.  This is
something I will also volunteer to look at it.

(12) Const signature changes.  In the original thread on this subject,
Alberto identified the following 3 jira bugs that need signatures updated:
- XERCESC-783: DOMUserDataHandler::handle specifies src and dst as const
DOMNode*, but the specs say they are DOMNode* (and the user wants to modify

them)
- XERCESC-1153: XMLSchemaDescriptionImpl::getLocationHints should return a
const object to prevent attempts to change its state
- XERCESC-1223: DOMDocument::importNode should declare the source node as
const DOMNode*
-> I think I can handle these as well :-)

Lastly, I think we should move this list into releases_plan.xml so we can
track it.  For items that aren't signed up for we should probably continue
to carry forward with no one assigned to them so they don't get lost.

Regards,
David A. Cargill
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
(905) 413-2371, tie 969
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

             James Berry
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             g>                                                         To
                                       xerces-c-dev@xml.apache.org
             02/17/2005 05:02                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: The Road to 3.0: Feature
             Please respond to         list/signup
               xerces-c-dev

Folks,

I've revised the feature list/signup list following contributions from
people over the last week. Thank you all for your generous
contributions of future-time. Please let me know what I got wrong, or
missed, or if there's places you can help.

If I don't hear any more by the end of the week, we'll work to finalize
the proposed feature set, then make a decision for sure on whether it's
3.0 or 2.7... As it sits, it doesn't look like we'll do (1, 2, 7, or
10).

-jdb

Here's a list of potential tasks. Not all of them have to happen, and
they certainly won't happen if we nobody will sign-up for the tasks:

CALL FOR SIGN UP:

Please respond indicating whether you'll sign up for the work. If
there' s something else you want to contribute, please indicate. Help
is needed where there is no resource specified, or where there's a
question mark.

  (1) Reorganization of public/private includes
  (2) Revisiting/sanity checking of install locations
  (3) Refactoring of x-platform support
     3.a. Initial cut
                 James
     3.b. Basic posix support
                 James
     3.b. Mac re-port/test
                 James
     3.c. Windows re-port/test
                 Alberto
     3.d. Linux re-port/test (may survive with basic posix...)
                 Gareth
                 Alberto [VMWare (Red Hat 9, Red Hat 7.3) and I can add
more]
                 Scott Cantor [test]
     3.e. Solaris
                 Scott Cantor [test]
     3.f.  Cygwin
                 Neil
     3.g. Additional platforms...
                 Alberto [MinGW and Interix (AKA Microsoft Services For
Unix)]
  (4) A true autoconf-based build infrastructure
             James
             Jason Stewart
             Scott Cantor
             John Snelson
  (5) Add a libcurl based netaccessor?
             James (as time permits)
  (6) DOM 3.0 support
             Alberto
             Gareth
  (7) XPath???
  (8) XInclude
             Gareth
             Caroline Rioux
             Graham Innocent
  (9) Add a ACE-based netaccessor
             Alberto (as time permits)
  (10) Add RelaxNG support
             (Michael Fuller -- would provide some help)

  (20) Remove deprecated DOM altogether.
             Gareth
  (21) Remove and/or update deprecated enums
             Gareth
  (22) Remove non-thread-safe psvi methods.
             Gareth
  (23) Remove Mac OS Classic support
             James
  (24) Remove OS/2 (or update it)
             Alberto
  (25) Remove Borland C++ 4, CodeWarrior, VACPP40 and Unsupported from
Windows platform
             Alberto