ASSP with XMail is an excellent solution for this - it is robust and
reasonably lightweight.  ASSP checks the first number of K that you
specify to determine if an email is SPAM, then closes the session if it
is.  You can specify valid user accounts in a text file or using LDAP.
If the email is invalid, it simply closes the session.  Then you can
forward the email to XMail for final processing.

Jeff