Hi Jeff,

> You can run ASSP on a different server than XMail.  Also, you can
> use it simply to verify that the address being sent to is a valid
> one - it does not need to perform Bayesian -filter based SPAM
> blocking unless you want it to (you could open up the ruleset, or
> you can have it simply tag the email that goes through with
> something if it thinks it's SPAM).  If what you need is to be able
> to close sessions to invalid addresses quickly, that is the only way
> I know how to do it.

I'll certainly look into it but I don't like the idea of having to run
something in front of XMail... Also, I'd need to install Perl on my
mailserver which is *strictly* a mailserver.

> What you suggest might work, but spammers domains and addresses
> change very rapidly, so I'm not certain you would actually cut down
> the volume much, and you would end up having to process all of that
> email.  ASSP will simply terminate the session more or less
> immediately if it doesn't like the email, the sender, or the
> address, or any combination of those things.

I don't have to process that much email though. First of all, my new
CustMapsList filters out a lot of spam. If the sender seems ok, XMail
first checks if the recipient is known. If not, it redirects it to my
catch-all account. While it is doing that, the filters.pre-data.tab
filter kicks in *before* the data command, only the headers have
arrived so far. Next, my script will get the ip address from those
headers and exits with code 3 which makes XMail to terminate the
connection. Mail with a valid recipient will still go through the
filter but that's not a problem.

Sounds to me that it could work! ;)

--
Henri.